Recommended Video:

When Ridgefield went ahead 3-0 on Sebastian Gasparo's 25-yard field goal midway through the first quarter, it was the first time the unbeaten Greenwich High football team had trailed in a game this season.

The Cardinals weren't in that unfamiliar position for long.

Greenwich took the lead with a touchdown later in the opening quarter and went on to beat Ridgefield, 33-3, on a rainy Friday night at Tiger Hollow.

The Cardinals improved their record to 7-0, while Ridgefield dropped to 4-4.

Although Ridgefield's defense played well — the Tigers trailed just 14-3 at halftime and 17-3 through three quarters — Greenwich's defense was otherworldly. The Cardinals had 13 sacks, with senior defensive end Mozi Bici accounting for eight of them.

Bici provided a momentum-turning play late in the first quarter, forcing and recovering a fumble from Ridgefield quarterback Owen Matthews at the Tigers' 24-yard line. Spencer Hartley ran for 12 yards, and then quarterback Gavin Muir kept the ball and ran the remaining 12 yards for a touchdown. The extra point gave the Cardinals a 7-3 lead with less than a minute left in the period.

Early in the second quarter, a 35-yard pass from Muir to wide receiver Lance Large set up Hartley's two-yard touchdown run, as the Cardinals increased their lead to 14-3.

Ben Howarth's 36-yard field goal marked the only scoring of the third quarter, putting Greenwich ahead, 17-3.

Ridgefield did threaten near the end of the quarter. A 28-yard pass from Matthews to Jack Wright and a gutsy catch by Gianni Gorham for a first down on a fourth-and-10 play put the Tigers within striking distance at the Cardinals' seven-yard line. But Ridgefield was pushed back from there, and Gasparo’s 25-yard field goal attempt was blocked.

Greenwich tacked on 16 unanswered points in the final seven minutes of the fourth quarter. Howarth contributed a 33-yard field goal; Bici returned a blocked Ridgefield punt 10 yards for a touchdown; and Hunter Clark scored on a 10-yard run.