Ridgefield scores two late goals, stuns Greenwich

For those who follow Connecticut girls hockey, it was a final score that caused triple-takes.

Ridgefield 2, Greenwich 1.

That, however, was the correct outcome of Saturday night's late game at the Winter Garden in Ridgefield.

Greenwich took a 1-0 lead with under six minutes to play, but Ridgefield scored two goals in the final 121 seconds to stun the previously unbeaten Cardinals.

Two prior results this season illuminated the unlikelihood of Ridgefield's victory: Greenwich was coming off a 3-2 win over New Canaan, a team that had throttled Ridgefield, 9-0.

"Obviously, it was the best game we have played so far," said Ridgefield head coach Lauren Lubrano, whose team improved to 4-3-1. "I thought we had the talent to play with anyone, but against Darien (an 8-2 loss) and New Canaan we gave up a goal and then the floodgates opened. But we didn't do that when Greenwich took the lead. We kept up our level of play."

Zella Ertl scored the tying goal for the Tigers on an assist from Julia Zangre with 2:01 remaining. Emily Stefanelli then followed with the game-winning goal on assists from Kate Zangre and Ali Caiola with 49 seconds left.

Ridgefield goalie Kendal Mountain preserved the lead with several nice stops in the final seconds.

"Kendal was awesome at the end and throughout the game," said Lubrano. "She made some great saves on a few odd-man rushes."

The Tigers also got impressive performances from defensemen Bridget Galloway, Chiara Signorelli, Julia Zangre, and Caiolo.

"They were great. They didn't let Greenwich have many good chances," said Lubrano. "I also have to give a shutout to freshman Katie Rector, who played both forward and defense. We moved her back to defense when other people got tired and she made a big difference."

Notes: Freshman Alexis Danielson had the lone goal for Greenwich (4-1-0). Emma Wingrove and Paige Finneran assisted on Danielson's goal, which came with 5:39 left in the third period.

Greenwich took all six penalties in the game: Three in the opening period, two in the second period, and one in the third period.

"We didn't score any power-play goals," said Lubrano, "but I think the penalties prevented Greenwich from getting any momentum."