Ridgefield rallies to beat Greenwich

Ridgefield imposed its will first during Wednesday’s matchup against FCIAC boys lacrosse rival Greenwich — scoring five of the game’s first six goals — before the momentum swiftly swung in the Cardinals’ favor.

Then it was the Tigers’ turn to respond.

Trailing by two goals after leading by four, Ridgefield finished strong, scoring the final five goals in a well-earned 10-7 victory over host Greenwich at Cardinal Stadium.

Senior midfielder Weston Carpenter recorded a hat trick with one assist for the Tigers, while freshman attackman Ryan Colsey and senior midfielder James Isaacson each added two goals.

Ridgefield, which improved to 3-1 with the victory, was ahead 3-0 at the end of the first quarter, but then trailed 6-5 at halftime.

“It came down to possessions,” Ridgefield coach Roy Colsey said. “The second quarter, the possessions went their way, it was just who had the ball.”

Greenwich (also 3-1) received two goals from senior Matt Davey and one apiece from seniors Jack Feda, Charlie Graves, Owen Gwozdz, and Lance Large, and sophomore Chris Cataldo.

Large’s man-up goal gave the Cardinals their biggest advantage at 7-5 just 15 seconds into the third quarter. Yet that marked the last goal Greenwich scored in the game.

Junior midfielder Ray Dearth dodged to find an angle and then converted a shot from 10 yards out, bringing Ridgefield within 7-6 with 6:22 remaining in the third quarter. Isaacson scored off a pass from Colsey, evening the game at 7-7 at the six-minute mark.

The visitors took the lead for good at 8-7 when Colsey converted a feed from junior attackman John Mathes with 4:29 to go in the third quarter.


“We did a really good job on defense; we only let up a goal in the second half ... a man-up goal in the first minute,” Dearth said. “On offense, we got our sets down and were able to get going. We were also great on the face-offs, but we still have a lot to work on.”

Senior Daniel Parson made eight saves in goal for the victors.

“Our defense was great throughout the day. We had a little low point in the second quarter, but once we got to halftime we talked about doing what we did in the first quarter,” Parson said. “This was a big FCIAC win for a lot of our young guys.”

One of those young guys, freshman Logan Gels, gave Ridgefield a 5-1 lead when he scored at the 7:28 mark of the second quarter. Greenwich responded with five straight goals to take a 6-5 edge heading into halftime. Cataldo began the run, tallying in transition and Davey ended the spurt with a goal from close in, making it 6-5 with 1:25 to go in the second period.

Ridgefield took time off the clock by effectively moving the ball around the perimeter late in the final quarter.

“If they don’t have the ball, they can’t score,” Dearth said. “That can be the best defense you play.”

“Greenwich did a good job of making that run” Roy Colsey said. “They were smart with all their shots and they had us on our heels. But our guys responded in the third quarter and did a good job of stepping up. I’ll take that kind of win any day.”


RIDGEFIELD     3 2 3 2 — 10
GREENWICH      1 5 1 0 — 7

Records: Greenwich 3-1; Ridgefield 3-1; Scoring: R — Weston Carpenter 3 g, 1 a; Ray Dearth 2 g, 1 a; Ryan Colsey 2 g, 2 a; Logan Gels 1 g, 1 a; James Isaacson 2 g; John Mathes 2 a; G — Matt Davey 2 g; Jack Feda 1 g; Charlie Graves 1 g, 1 a; Owen Gwozdz 1 g, 1 a; Chris Cataldo 1 g; Lance Large 1 g; Goalies: R — Daniel Parson (8 saves); G — Padraig Colligan (11 saves).