David Wilson, 81, educator, counselor, 47-year resident

David Ballantyne Wilson, an educator and counselor who lived on Laurel Hill Road for 47 years, died at home June 10, from complications related to two serious strokes he had in 2009. He was 81 years old.

He and his wife had marked their 50th wedding anniversary in April.

Mr. Wilson was born in Kearny, N.J., in 1930, and after graduation from high school in 1948, he worked for The Prudential Insurance Company. He joined the Army during the Korean Conflict and was responsible for fingerprinting prisoners of war.

After his discharge, he attended Murray (Ky.) State University, earning a degree in secondary education in 1957. He taught ninth grade English at Rutherford (N.J.) Junior High School. There he met and married Helen Thompson, also an English teacher.

After he received a master’s degree in counseling at Montclair State University, Mr. Wilson became vice-principal and guidance counselor in the K-12 Newcomb Central School in the Adirondacks. In 1965, the Wilsons moved to Laurel Hill Road.

He earned a certificate of advanced study in school psychology from Fairfield University while he held a counseling position at New Canaan High School.

From 1973 through 1986, he worked as director of education at Vitam Center, a residential adolescent treatment center in Norwalk. Working with the Connecticut State Department of Education, he developed and obtained certification for an on-site special education school, later named The Wilson School at Vitam.

Until his retirement in 1994, he was employed by the Diocese of Bridgeport school system.

He was also a longtime member of the Great Pond Club and enjoyed gardening.

Besides his wife, Mr. Wilson is survived by a daughter, Katharine Wilson of Troy, N.Y.; his sister, Margaret Richards and her husband, Glenn, of Tinton Falls, N.J.; and his brother Alex Wilson; and his wife Bridget of Lyndhurst, N.J.

A private family celebration of his life will be held for Mr. Wilson at his niece’s home in New Jersey later in July.

The family said it is “most grateful for the gracious and professional care received from Regional Hospice and Home Care of Western Connecticut.”

Arrangements were handled by Bouton Funeral Home in Georgetown.