Editor\u2019s note: This is the fourth of eight columns provided to The Press in lead-up to the Battle of Ridgefield re-enactment Saturday, April 29. The 5th Connecticut Regiment (5CR) was first raised in May of 1775 at Danbury. It was reconstituted Jan. 1, 1777, as one of 88 regiments established by Continental Congress for three-year service. The new unit, mostly Fairfield County men, was commanded by Colonel Philip Burr Bradley (Yale \u201958), whose fine residence stood along Ridgefield\u2019s storied Main Street when Major General William Tryon\u2019s 2000-strong British invasion force on April 27, 1777, came calling. Tryon, after destroying the Patriot supply depot at Danbury with little resistance, found his return to Long Island Sound blocked at Ridgefield by some 600 militia under Continental Brigadier General Benedict Arnold. With Arnold was Colonel Bradley, recently appointed to oversee smallpox inoculation of Continental levies in western Connecticut. Although the 5CR was then mustering at Peekskill along the Hudson River, a small cadre \u2014 no more than a few dozen \u2014 were at their commander\u2019s side. And Colonel Bradley, rather than permit regimental rum supplies to slake redcoat throats, distributed \u201cabout 120 gallons of rum for the refreshment of the troops.\u201d Nearly a quart for every Patriot present! Spirited resistance notwithstanding, the American position was overrun in \u201cabout fifteen minutes\u201d and the village itself secured in a \u201csmart action which lasted about an hour.\u201d At least fourteen Patriots were killed, including 5CR private Bradley Dean, a Ridgefield lad who had enlisted but four days earlier. Sergeant Clement Lloyd died next day when General Arnold resumed action against the retreating redcoats at Compo Hill. 5CR privates Solomon Brown and Jack Congo (a black servant who was sold into the army) survived the action at Ridgefield, only to be among 35 members of the regiment to perish at Valley Forge. \u00a0 Sources: Jones, Keith Marshall III. Farmers Against the Crown (Baltimore: Connecticut Colonel Publishing Company, 2002, 2004, 2014). Support the battle by learning more at BattleOfRidgefield.org or at SupportTheBattle.org More information may be found by calling 203-403-7065, emailing info@BattleOfRidgefield.org or stopping by Jerusalem 49 Masonic Lodge next to Town Hall.