A fire at Lakeside Drive Extension in Ridgefield last week was caused when the homeowner fueled a lawn mower inside his garage and attempted to start it, Fire Chief Jerry Myers said. "He reported that it burst into flames," Myers said Tuesday, May 7. "The very fast moving fire caused significant damage to the garage, the bedroom directly above the garage, and the attic space. It appears that the fire from the garage extended up the outside of the home and reached the eaves and into the attic space." The other parts of the structure received smoke damage but were not burned, according to the fire chief. The first firefighters on the scene "were met with zero visibility and high heat," Myers said. "Their aggressive attack on the fire resulted in most of the structure being saved," he added. "Credit should be given to the homeowner who had\u00a0 the foresight to close the door between the basement and the main floor which significantly reduced the ability of the fire to spread." Danbury\u2019s Miry Brook Volunteer Fire Department sent mutual aid to the scene, and it took firefighters about 30 minutes to knock down the flames, Myers said. The homeowner was transported to the hospital for burns, the severity of which was not disclosed. On Monday, the American Red Cross said it was helping assist the family of four. The Red Cross said it was providing comfort kits containing personal care items such as toothbrushes, deodorant; shaving supplies and other items a resident might not have been able to gather in the rush to escape the fire. In addition, a recovery envelope containing information helpful to families recovering from a fire, including tips on cleanup; notification of important contacts; dealing with damaged items and more was provided.