Ridgefield Answers the Call: Historical society to host presentation at Peter Parley Schoolhouse Sunday
The Ridgefield Historical Society is pleased to present Sundays at the Schoolhouse on Sept. 30, from 1 to 4 p.m., rain or shine. This afternoon series is free to the public and engages visitors of all ages through interactive tours of the schoolhouse and hands-on learning experiences with docents and historical craft makers from the Colonial era. On September 30, a presentation of the Historical Society’s exhibit, WWI: Ridgefield Answers the Call, will feature display posters created by local graphic artist Bil Mikulewicz. The exhibit commemorates the end of WWI and centers on the contribution Ridgefielders made during the war.
The Peter Parley Schoolhouse, also known as the West Lane Schoolhouse or the Little Red Schoolhouse, was in operation from 1756 to 1915 and served five generations of Ridgefielders. On the tour, learn about Samuel Goodrich (alias Peter Parley), a Ridgefield native and one of the most famous children’s book authors of his time, who attended the school from 1799 to 1803.
The town of Ridgefield owns the Schoolhouse and its grounds. In February 2012, the Ridgefield Historical Society took over its operations and, today, it is open the last Sunday of the month from May to October.
The Ridgefield Historical Society is committed to enhancing its public outreach to the community, both at the Scott House and the Peter Parley Schoolhouse, as well as in collaboration with local institutions. For more information, please visit ridgefieldhistoricalsociety.org, call 203-438-5821, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The Sundays at the Schoolhouse program is generously supported by Fairfield County Bank.