Rabin family purchases old Thrift Shop building on Catoonah Street
Another Catoonah Street storefront has been sold — but this time there's no plans for development.
The Rabin family, which owns and operates the Ridgefield Hardware building on Main Street, purchased 17 Catoonah Street for $1,200,000 on Jan. 8.
The property is the former location of the Ridgefield Thrift Shop, which moved to Governor Street in 2017.
In addition to Ridgefield Hardware, the Rabin family also owns the building that houses Deborah Ann's Sweet Shop on Main Street.
According to the website "Notable Ridgefielders," Edward Rabin founded Ridgefield Hardware in 1938.
"Hundreds of businesses have come and gone during the 20th Century in Ridgefield," the website's bio reads, "Only one can lay claim to Ridgefield Hardware’s achievement: It is by far the oldest village business owned by a single family....Ridgefield Hardware is operated today by second and third generations of his family...
"[Edward] and his wife, Dorothy, moved to Ridgefield and opened Ridgefield Hardware on the east side of Main Street, where Village Emporium is today. As the business grew, he needed more space and in 1948 built a new store across the street, where Ridgefield Hardware is today. Mr. Rabin retired in 1975 and Jerry and his family took over and have continued to expand and build the business. Active in the town, Edward Rabin was a charter member of the Kiwanis Club and a longtime member of the Lions. He died in 1995 at the age of 83."
Read more about the Rabin family here.
The Thrift Shop moved to 17 Catoonah Street in 1960. It originally opened in the Donnelly Block on Main Street in 1937.
Prior to the thrift shop, the building at 17 Catoonah Street formerly belonged to St. Mary’s Church. The church purchased land on the corner of Catoonah Street and High Ridge Avenue in September 1893 for $2,750. In May 1896, work began on the new St. Mary’s Church. It cost $20,700.
On July 5, 1897, the new church was dedicated.