Peter Parley Schoolhouse open house is Sunday, June 24
The Peter Parley Schoolhouse Open House is this Sunday, June 24 from 1-4 pm. The historic schoolhouse is located at the intersection of West Lane and South Salem Road (Rte 35). Follow signs for parking.
An ice cream truck will be on site selling frozen treats.
The schoolhouse, which functioned from 1756 to 1915, is set up as a schoolhouse museum complete with desks, chalkboards and other school artifacts. Ridgefield once had fourteen such schoolhouses, but today only eight survive of which three are still owned by the Town. Noted school textbook author Samuel Goodrich, who wrote under the pen name Peter Parley, once attended this school which was subsequently named for him.