Ridgefield baseball coaches put on administrative leave again

Ridgefield baseball coach Paul Fabbri
Ridgefield baseball coach Paul Fabbri

Ridgefield baseball coach Paul Fabbri and assistant baseball coach Tom Neville have been put on administrative leave pending an investigation.

Fabbri, who coached the team in its 4-3 loss to New Canaan Wednesday, was previously put on administrative leave following the field fire incident at Governor Park on April 6. Superintendent Dr. William Collins also placed Neville and assistant coach Len "Boots" Merullo on leave for that incident. All three were reinstated less than a week later. 

Collins said Friday that Fabbri and Neville's latest administrative leave was not related to the field fire incident. He did not comment on the investigation.

Fabbri said he could not comment on the investigation Friday. Neville did not respond to a call from The Ridgefield Press.

Ridgefield High School Principal Dr. Stacey Gross and Athletics Director Dane Street sent out out a letter to the team's players and their parents Wednesday night.

"We are writing to inform you that, due to concerns brought to the attention of the administration, varsity coaches Paul Fabbri and Tom Neville have been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation," the letter said. "This will result in changes to coaching assignments within the program as well as some schedule changes for the remainder of the season. We will be back in touch with more details as they are confirmed, but in the short term the JV and Freshman games vs. Norwalk tomorrow will be postponed. Additionally, there will be no sub-varsity practice tomorrow.

"At this time we do intend to continue with tomorrow's Varsity game against Norwalk as scheduled," the letter continued. "We will be holding a meeting with all varsity players prior to tomorrow's varsity game. Varsity players should be at the field at Governor Park at 2:45 pm.

"Players and parents should not be in contact with Coach Fabbri or Coach Neville during this time period," the letter concluded. "Again, we will send along more information as necessary. Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns."

Ridgefield High School lost 9-3 to Norwalk on the team's senior night Thursday. The team's next game is Monday.

Police Chief Jeff Kreitz said there have been no criminal charges have been filed against either Fabbri or Neville.