On this day in Ridgefield history: August 9

The Ridgefield fountain after the 2000 or 2001 restoration

The Ridgefield fountain after the 2000 or 2001 restoration

Contributed Photo / Contributed Photo

The following are a list of events that took place in Ridgefield over the last four centuries on August 9:

Aug. 9, 1779 - A group of Ridgefield Tories is gathered up at night and taken to a river, where they are given a “prolonged ducking,” reports historian D. Hamilton Hurd. Earlier that day, the Town Meeting votes against a resolution, “whether any person that was an inhabitant in this town, and hath absconded, and gone over to or joyned the enemy of the United States (and hath returned or shall return into the town) be admitted to dwell in the town, without the liberty and approbation of the town first had and obtained by such person or persons? Resolved in the negative.”

Aug. 9, 1779 - Times are getting tough. Samuel Olmsted Esq. and Robert Edmond are appointed delegates for the town to a County Convention at Redding April 10 “in order to consult and adopt suitable measures to prevent the further depreciation of the paper currency and raise its value.”

Aug. 9, 1793 - Samuel Griswold Goodrich Jr. is born in a house on West Lane. More than 100 books are written under his pen name, Peter Parley, in the 1800s, and his two-volume autobiography, Recollections of A Lifetime, gives a rare glimpse into Ridgefield life in the early 19th Century.

Aug. 9, 1862 - Responding to President Lincoln’s call for 300,000 more volunteers, a Town Meeting votes to pay $200 “bounties” to the families of any Ridgefield men who enlist in the Union Army.

Aug. 9, 1862 - Corporal Edwin B. Gilbert is captured at Cedar Mountain, Va. He survives, and is discharged from the service July 19, 1865.

Aug. 9, 1886 - The children’s parlor fair at Elm Shade Cottage takes place, with items made by both children and adults for sale. $87 is raised to benefit the Methodist Episcopal Hospital of Brooklyn and the House of the Holy Comforter, described by The New York Times as “the only home for incurables” in New York City.

Aug. 9, 1930 - An oil stove is believed to have started a fire that destroys a vacant house in Farmingville. The house was a weekend retreat for a New York man.

Aug. 9, 1931 - A 1927 Whippet, parked in a garage at the Jonathan Bulkley estate on West Mountain, catches fire and nearly burns down the garage. Employees save the building, but the car is lost.

Aug. 9, 2006 - The selectmen agree that instead of a new police station, the town should renovate and enlarge the existing one.

The following excerpts can be found at “A Ridgefield Timeline” on RidgefieldHistory.com.

The Press will be continue piling such lists throughout the summer and into the fall. Please email news@theridgefieldpress.com with any suggestions or feedback.