On this day in Ridgefield history: August 13
The following are a list of events that took place in Ridgefield over the last four centuries on August 13:
Aug. 13, 1777 - The General Assembly in Hartford gives Capt. Ebenezer Coe of Stratford 60 pounds in compensation for “a wound by a ball shot by the enemy” in the Battle of Ridgefield that “destroyed his right eye.”
Aug. 13, 1839 - General Joshua King dies at the age of 81. A Revolutionary War veteran who had guarded Major John Andre and escorted him to the gallows, King has been a leading Ridgefield citizen and businessmen for decades.
Aug. 13, 1888 - To raise money to provide a house for the parish priest, St. Mary’s has its first “fair,” which begins today and lasts evenings through the week. The event includes a raffle of a $20 gold piece, a sewing machine, and an engagement ring.
Aug. 13 1964 — 700 people petition for a firehouse in Ridgebury.
Aug. 13, 2002 - More than 5,000 Ridgefield customers lose electricity in a 90-plus-degree heat wave as demand for power causes a primary line on Grove Street to break.
Aug. 13, 2008 - The Board of Selectmen declines to change the name of Pump Lane to Somerset Place.
The following excerpts can be found at “A Ridgefield Timeline” on RidgefieldHistory.com.
The Press will be continue piling such lists throughout the summer and into the fall. Please email email@example.com with any suggestions or feedback.