NEW FAIRFIELD — Firefighters are reminding residents to be careful with candles this holiday season after responding to a reported fire in town this weekend.

Volunteer firefighters were called to a possible kitchen fire at a Princeton Lane residence Saturday afternoon.

The homeowners had extinguished the flames by the time firefighters arrived but requested they come to make sure the fire was out.

Firefighters determined the blaze had started after someone turned on a cooktop stove and put a candle on a burner to help even out the wax inside the glass container.

“The glass then broke and caused a large flame,” according to the New Fairfield Volunteer Fire Department, whose members helped remove smoke from the residence.

Earlier this year, an unattended candle caused a house fire that displaced a family from their Ball Pond Road home.