This is a carousel. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate
The stately Italianate house at 528 Main Street has been a New Canaan landmark for many years.
Built for a wealthy merchant in 1848, it was originally part of a 40-acre farm bordered by the Five Mile River in the rear. The home site is near the intersection of Main Street and Old Norwalk Road. Since 1946 it has been owned by members of the Bell family and has recently been lovingly restored and updated by Marianne Bell Reifenheiser, who moved into the house with her parents as a toddler in l946. She recalls that “there was no Farm Road, but the nearby Weed family farm stretched all the way from South Avenue to White Oak Shade Road.”