Snow-born baby girl delivered safely in home

A baby girl was born in a home on Revere Place during the snowstorm Tuesday morning around 9:35.

Police Lt. Jeff Smith and Officer Chris Daly arrived on the scene, along with fire engine No. 1, minutes before the mother delivered the child and helped set up the area.

“Those guys got there just in the nick of time,” said Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Tappe. “These things don’t happen every day — maybe once a year or so; the timing of it is just remarkable.

“It’s pretty rare for responders to get there and have to make the delivery,” he said. “Usually, the mother has already had the child or needs to be taken to the hospital.”

An ambulance arrived on the scene after the delivery to transport the mother and her child safely to Danbury Hospital for treatment and observation.

Assistant Chief Tappe said the engine was dispatched to the scene because no ambulances were available at the time the call came in.

“The ambulances were all out on motor vehicle accidents,” he explained. “The ambulance was dispatched from Danbury Hospital and took a while to arrive on the scene due to the road conditions.

Capt. John Drake and his brother, firefighter Mike Drake, were on the engine and delivered the baby on the bathroom floor.

“Within second after arrival, firefighter Mike Drake had a new baby girls in his hands,” Assistant Chief Tappe said. “They delivered the child right there on the floor.”

“Our personnel made sure that the baby was breathing, cleaned the child, cared for the mother and cut the umbilical cord,” he continued. “Everyone was ready for the ambulance’s arrival.”

Assistant Chief Tappe commended the efforts of the police dispatch, which he called the “first link in the chain.”

“It was a combined effort with the police and fire department working together,” he said. “Dispatch was able to talk to the father on speakerphone and give him pre-arrival instructions and make sure that the mother was safe.

“Luckily, dispatch didn’t have to go as far as to instruct him how to the handle the baby if it came out.”

He said the fire department and the police dispatch have emergency protocol cards that are specifically designed for instances of childbirth.

He added that the mother’s water had broken at the time the call was received by dispatcher Dennis Frulla around 9:15.

Police and fire crews were on the scene for about a hour, Assistant Chief Tappe said.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. The Ridgefield Press, 16 Bailey Avenue, Ridgefield, CT 06877

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress