The Ridgefield Historical Society will host its first “Sundays at the Schoolhouse” of the season Sunday, May 26, from 1 to 4 p.m., rain or shine. This afternoon series, which runs the last Sunday of the month through October, is free to the public and engages visitors of all ages through interactive tours of the schoolhouse. An ice cream truck will be on-site.
The Peter Parley Schoolhouse, also known as the West Lane Schoolhouse or the Little Red Schoolhouse, was in operation from 1756 to 1915 and served five generations of Ridgefielders. On the tour, learn about Samuel Goodrich (alias Peter Parley), a Ridgefield native and one of the most famous children’s book authors of his time, who attended the school from 1799 to 1803.
The town of Ridgefield owns the Schoolhouse and its grounds. In February 2012, the Ridgefield Historical Society took over its operations.
The Ridgefield Historical Society is committed to enhancing its public outreach to the community, both at the Scott House and the Peter Parley Schoolhouse, as well as in collaboration with local institutions. For more information, please visit ridgefieldhistoricalsociety.org, call 203-438-5821, or email email@example.com. The Sundays at the Schoolhouse program is generously supported by Fairfield County Bank.