Governor Park — the home field of the Ridgefield High School boys baseball team — was set ablaze following a hazardous waste spill around 12:30 p.m. Saturday, April 6.
Ridgefield police and firefighters responded to the baseball stadium after reports gasoline was poured onto the infield to “dry the field quicker.”
“A poor decision was made (and being looked into by the RPD) to ‘dry the field quicker’ and 24 gallons of gasoline was poured and set on fire,” the town posted on its Facebook page.
According to the post, the state’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection was called to the scene. Pete Hill, director of Public Works, was also on the scene with the town’s certified spill response team.
The baseball team’s game was delayed Saturday due to the conditions of the field. The town is planning to excavate the infield, place dirt in a safe container and add fresh, clean soil to the field.
Cops were at the scene of the incident taking pictures. The incident remains under investigation.