Guy Miglinas, Ridgefield’s fire marshal, is asking residents to look at their dehumidifiers following an Oct. 23 fire on North Salem Road.
“That was most likely caused by a malfunctioning dehumidifier,” he said. “No one was injured and there was significant damage to the home involved. This unfortunately causes many inconveniences to ones life.”
Miglinas, citing a similar event occurred in the town of New Canaan that same night also involving a dehumidifier, said that everyone should be aware that there is a recall on many dehumidifiers at this time.
“It is best to look at the items in your home and make sure there is no recall or problem regarding your device,” he said.
The best way to do this is is to go to the web page: www.cpsc.gov/recalls. This directs residents to the web page for the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. Residents can also call them at 800-638-2772.
“They are a good resource for keeping you current with any problems or recalls on any purchased items you may have,” Miglinas said.
If residents have any questions, feel free to call the fire marshal’s office at 203-438-2729.